The club, the largest single community organisation in the district, grew out of the Kedron-Wavell Sub Branch RSL (Returned & Services League of Australia) which was formed from the merger, in 1968, of the Kedron Sub Branch RSL and the Wavell Heights Sub Branch RSL.
The Kedron Sub Branch was formed sometime after World War I and built its Headquarters, the Kedron War Memorial School of Arts, in 1928 on the corner of Gympie and Broughton Roads, now the site of a Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet. The Wavell Heights Sub Branch was formed between the end of World War II in 1945 and 1950.
The Services Club began with a meeting of 65 local residents on 4th December 1968 in the old School of Arts (Library Hall) and applied to the Brisbane City Council to build on reclaimed land at the corner of Hamilton Road and Kittyhawk Drive.
The club commenced operating on 18/12/1970 with a 21 year lease and on 6 /3/1971was officially opened by the Lord Mayor, Clem Jones. It aimed to provide the people of the district with a place where they could socialise in an enjoyable manner with their friends and families.
In 1992 the club was issued with a gaming machine licence and took delivery of 45 gaming machines soon after. This was very important as it gave the club a large steady source of income to develop its widespread community activities.
In 1994 the area in the club's lease was extended and the lease renewed for another 45 years. In return the Brisbane City Council called for financial help to establish the new Library beside the club and to help in the redevelopment of the Chermside Swimming Pool.
In 2000 the Club with a grant of $1.3m from the National Standard Sports Facilities Program built a hockey complex of a synthetic surface field, two grass fields and a clubhouse for $3m as part of its assistance to local sport.
The Annual Report for 2008 places the membership at 23,045 and gives an overview of the Club's assistance to the organisations of the local district.
Almost $1million is provided annually to support over 100 local community non-profit and charitable organisations including:
- The Breast Cancer Association
- Variety Queensland
- The Prince Charles Hospital and QUT
- Gallipoli Medical Research Foundation
- Qld Wildlife Preservation Society
- Queensland Netball
- AFL Brisbane Juniors
- Leukaemia Foundation
- Legacy Care Group
- Clubs Smile for a Child
- Brisbane North Development Forum
Upon exiting Shawsportz after 11 years of support, the legacy of the $8m community investment into capital facilities at the sporting precincts at Shaw Road, Wooloowin and O'Callaghan Park, Zillmere remains for all to use and enjoy for years to come.
Another community initiative in 2008 saw Kedron-Wavell Services Club and the RSL Sub- Branch collectively donate $10,000 to the Gallipoli Medical Research Foundation with a further commitment of $10,000 each year over the next four years pledging in total $50,000 over five years.
The Club was fully accredited as a registered training organisation as from May 2006 and the first step was to provide hospitality training for its own staff. In 2007 it commenced providing external training to the broader industry and communities including local high schools and TAFE in the region. This is part of the program of diversification to cope with the more stringent regulations coming into force in relation to gambling and sales of alcohol.
Kedron-Wavell Services Club recognises the important role it plays in strengthening the foundation of the surrounding communities and giving back to the very people who have supported and contributed to the success of the Club over the years.