- GPS Co-ordinates S - 27.3801 E - 153.0376
- Finding the Iron Cylinder
- Probable Working Posture
- Inside the Cylinder.
- Dome and Funnell
- So, where did it come from and when was it dumped here?
GPS Co-ordinates S - 27.3801 E - 153.0376
Finding the Iron Cylinder
In September of 2011 a gentlemn was walking his dog in the western end of 7th Brigade Park when he came upon a large metal cylinder. It lay on its side in an area that is lightly timbered with secondary growth native trees.
He photographed the object and sent copies to the Chermside and District Historical Society Inc asking us to identify it and explain its purpose.
Three members of the CDHS following the enquirer's directions and map found the cylinder lying in a copse of saplings.
At present it is impossible to tell how long it has been on this site and there is no indication that it was used here. The alternative is that it was dumped here and the state of the cylinder supports this hypothesis as it is long past its usable life judging by the rust holes at the base.
It appears to have been dumped here before the saplings grew but after the old growth had been largely cleared. The area was used for cattle grazing from the 1860s and was Alonzo Sparkes' slaughter yard till 1931 when all the slaughter yards were replaced with the abattoirs at Canon Hill.
Probable Working Posture
The vessel could be as old as the 19th Century or as recent as the early 20th Century before welding replaced the rivets for holding the steel sheets together.
If the cylinder was used to raise steam it would have had a series of water pipes packed in with a heat source below. The fire would heat the water in the pipes and convert it to steam under pressure to drive a steam engine nearby.
This north view shows a possible hinged fire door opening at the base where fuel, most likely wood, could be inserted, There would have been fire bars inside to hold the fire and let the ashes drop down. There are no signs of such items but the severe rusting could indicate the presence of fire which would accelerate the process of rusting.
The upper hole could be an inspection opening to examine the state of the water pipes in the upper part of the boiler.
Inside the Cylinder.
There is nothing inside, clean as the proverbial whistle! There is nothing to indicate any item to hold the fire but the rivets at the base look as though they held a flange which could have held fire bars.
There is some sort of white cement like substance on parts of the remaining base.
Dome and Funnell
The dome had to be formed by skilled boilermakers. Each piece of steel had to be cut to the exact wedge shape, then bent to the exact curve and holes drilled for the rivetts. Then the the red hot rivets had to be inserted and while one man held the head (hexagonal?) of the rivet another man beat the tail of the rivet into the dome shape. As the rivet cooled it contracted and pulled the plates together with immense force.Both men would probably finish up deaf.
So, where did it come from and when was it dumped here?
The short answer is I don't know. However it could have been used by any of the local tanneries or slaughter yards/houses in the days before electricity became available.
Electricity was installed at the Chermside State School in August 1930 and in the School of Arts about February 1925. These dates would have marked the end of the steam engines in the local industries.
The most likely owner would have been Alonzo Sparkes as the his paddock covered this area. His slaughter house was in the vicinity of Corrie Street, Chermside which is not far from the boiler's present location. He was here from 1909 till his death in 1923 but his firm continued owning the area till 1941.
In the 1950s there was the great house building boom when about 1,000 houses were built on Sparkes' Paddock so one of the developers could have moved the boiler from the Corrie Street area. Or maybe the army dumped it when they moved into the area in 1941.
One thing is certain, it didn't fall out of the sky. It could have been made at an engineering works in Brisbane as the one in the above photo was made in Mackay in 1880, a hundred and thirty years ago.